Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Kaneesha and Bernette.

Now that you know what my job is all about, I can speak candidly about work tales throughout my day. I was having a pretty prosperous first three hours today until I got a call from my manager letting me know that my couple hadn't yet shown up for the 10:30 preview and that I had 15 mins to get them, or another couple, in the showroom. As I was stressing out about losing the $100 in potential commission, I turned around to two African-American women looking at our brochure rack.

I asked Kaneesha and Bernette where they were from, what they wanted to do, and how long they were here for. They told me they were from Hotlanta until tomorrow at 5pm and all they wanted to do was see the "big houses on the hills". I immediately think: City Tour tomorrow from 7-noon! Done. I tell them about it and let them know it's normally $34 but I can give them two free tickets if they come with me for 60-90 mins. :)

They're so ready. I tell them we have less than 5 mins to walk a block through the International Marketplace. (For all of you who've not have had the pleasure of experiencing the IMP, it is a knick knack hell of Hawaiian crap made in China with Korean negotiators chasing you down every five seconds.) As we are trudging through, I proceed to fill out their invitation...

Me: "Are you married?"
Kaneesha: "Everyone is single in Hawaii!"
Me: "You have to be completely single when you get up there, take your ring off. Do you make more than $50,000 a year?"
K: "Should I say 'yes' or 'no'?"
Me: "You need to make more than that....Where is Bernette?"

We turn around to find Bernette buying a purple flowered suitcase. My heart stops, we have less than 2 minutes. I start letting Bernette know that we NEED to go NOW; the Korean negotiator at the kiosk wanted me dead. Over it.

Bernette: "It's carry-on size! It matches my shirt too, I wasn't going to buy it but she gave me such a good deal."
Kaneesha: "Ryan, if we have to walk any further Ima kill you"
Me: "We are almost there....I promise." My phone is ringing, manager calling me. I lied about how close we were :)

We get to the check-in window. Bernette is so excited about her new bag and loving the fact that I watch Real Housewives of Hotlanta. (I told her we were going to be Tardy for the Party....)

Check-in Girl: "What is your profession and yearly income?"
K: "I am a home-care taker (what?!) and I make $82,541." Turns to me and smiles.
Check-in Girl: "Do you have a significant other?"
K: "I'm in Hawaii Heeeey-eeeey".

When they were let in and I could breathe a sigh of relief, I looked at my phone; that whole thing took 6 mins. I made $146 dollars. Sometimes I love a Tuesday morning at my job! Most times I hate it. Either way, I can't make this stuff up and can certainly not let it go unwritten! Thanks for reading!

UPDATE: I just re-scheduled the Canadian couple that originally 'no-showed' today for Thursday. All is good, eh?

I don't know how to be politically correct or how I could've incorporated this into the story but feel as if it has a major impact. Kaneesha had a complete grill of gold teeth. Full. On. Grill. I had to keep a straight face through this whole thing. Earned every penny. K, bye.

xR

2 comments:

  1. You willed your Canadians! Well done, eh!

    I just booked some Canadians for Thursday. Boatload of kids, some old enough to babysit. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $82,541! Of course she had to be exact. Love it!

    ReplyDelete